Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Restless Virgins: Love, Sex, and Survival at a New England Prep School (Jones & Miley)

Hmmm... so I read this because the fictionalized account was interesting. This was just sort of trashy and depressing. It makes me sad that my daughters might grow up in an environment where this kind of crazy hyper sexualization is real.

I mean, I'm not a prude. I don't worry about premarital sex per se, though of course I'd like my kids to be adults before they have a partner. It's the lack of self worth and repeatedly stressed assumption that girls somehow owe something to men... no really, boys.

Anyway, I felt kind of dirty reading it, though I did finish it. There is some controversy regarding the book as well, in terms of the confidentiality that was or was not promised to the girls who were featured. It does seem as if they would be pretty identifiable if you knew them in real life.

No comments: