Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Handle with Care (Jodi Piccoult)

So, I had a *really* hard time with the main character of this book. Not necessarily because of her decision to pursue a controversial lawsuit. More because there was just no realistic understanding of what would actually happen when said lawsuit was filed and came to court. It was strange... I mean, I could imagine doing a similar thing, in similar circumstances. But then again, I can't imagine doing it if my child could understand.

I really loved the first couple of Piccoult books I read, but it's starting to feel formulaic. Controversial issue. Somewhat incomplete moral picture of said issue and somewhere along the line, at least in all the books I've read, a kid dies. And, while I initially liked some of the pithy quotes in her books, it seems like this book was loaded with lines like that, just for the sake of them.

Still better than average book I pick up, but I think I need a Piccoult break... Overall grade C / C-

No comments: