Saturday, February 28, 2009

Secret Daughter: A Mixed-Race Daughter and the Mother Who Gave Her Away (June Cross)

Great book. I don't read a lot of memoirs, but J. kindly left this at my house and I picked it up.

An interesting portrait of a woman who was subject to the particular pressures of her day, very similar to The Girls Who Went Away, in that it helps us understand why a woman would make a choice that many of us think impossible.

I was amazed at Cross' empathy for her mom, her ability to still revel in her love for the woman who essentially told her that if she were lighter skin she would have raised her but since she wasn't she left her to be "kept" by a family friend.

Interesting too, the number of informal relationships where children stayed with adults who were not their parents with no real legal relationship in place... reminds me of Dr. Mark's idea that perhaps a more limited government in the child welfare arena would be prudent. I don't know about that, but it made me wonder.


Anway, definitely an A. She really delivers an unflinching portrait of her life.

No comments: