Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gangleader for a Day (Sydhar Venkatesh)

I enjoyed the content of this book but I was really put off by the author's voice. Between his photo on the jacket cover and the way he describes himself, I really think he has a high opinion of his own intelligence and maybe humanity.

I first heard of this book when I read Freakanomics... where, ironically enough, I heard much the same voice. I do love the first hand account of life in the projects, though, and you have to give the man credit for venturing in them, even against the advice of his professors, friends and parents.

Reading this book is painful, when I think about the way I worry about money and I think about the way some other people have to live, I feel like a terrible person. But I guess not terrible enough to really change anything, eh?

No comments: