Monday, August 11, 2008

In Silence (Erica Spindler)

So I've been on a suspense kick lately. Partly I think it's PB and also partly because I don't have a ton of time to read and the pacing works for me. Plus suspense is pretty mindless reading but not quite as mindless as chick lit. Or at least that's what I tell myself.

This book was quite interesting, though I have to say that dialogue (both internal and between characters) is definitely Spindler's weak point. Her character just say.. dumb and obvious things. She does have a knack for the twist ending though.

In silence is about a small town that resists change at all costs. A secret group is operating to keep citizens in line, using various legal and illegal means. This appealed to me because I am from a small town (though not as small and isolated as this one). She also talks about some social psychological stuff and I like the idea of small towns that are ultimately unhealthy precisely because they cling to their old ways.

I am also kind of fascinated by Louisiana - though I don't really know why. That's why I originally picked up a later book by this author and now I have to work my way back.

No comments: