Monday, March 17, 2008

Loving Frank (Nancy Horan)

I am a big Frank Lloyd Wright fan and this was one my Christmas gifts for PB (yes, he is that sweet!).

I had no idea that Frank and Mamah's relationship was so dramatic and I *certainly* didn't expect things to end the way they did. It's amazing the lives that people lead and you don't even know about it.

Loved the book from beginning to end. I thought it was really interesting to watch Frank try to love Mamah - she was such a fiercely independent woman, and she seemed totally out of synch with the era she was born in. It was also interesting to see how that independence caused so much pain to the people in her life - including (and maybe especially) her children and her sister. I had less sympathy for her husband, but only because in the book it didn't seem like he recognized Mamah's intellect and respected it.

As always, I wonder how much is true and how much not... the fictionalization of a person's life is an interesting thing. But overall, definitely on my list of top faves. A+

No comments: