Monday, December 3, 2007

Sheila Levine is Dead and Living in New York (Gail Parent)

Ooooh, this book is clever. I read it because it was supposedly a predecessor to Bridget Jones and I have to admit it lived up to the hype.

The book is written supposedly as a suicide letter from a Jewish girl going on thirty in the 1970s who is at her wit's end because she can't get married. Not much in the way of plot but the book is just plain funny. It's hard to believe 1972 when this book was written (and five years before I was born) was 35 years ago. Ack!

1 comment:

Doctor Joey said...

I read this book when it came out and then about 20 years later, a fellow doctoral student had an old library copy that I appropriated. I loved in just as much a generation later and I've read it several times since then. When you consider the time period in which it was written, you can realize what an amazingly accurate portrait of he race to the altar was in the 70s. (Sheila is 30 in 1972). Incidentally, your made an error on your reading list — John Steinbeck wrote "East of Eden," not Ernest Hemingway.

Doctor Joey
Professor of English