Saturday, September 15, 2007

Anthem (Ayn Rand)

So it's sad that I didn't even hear about Ayn Rand until I got to college, and I didn't read any of her books until well after graduate school.

This book reminded me a lot of 1984 - something about the narrator's voice seems very similar to me. And there are obvious parallels in the storylines.

I didn't like this book quite as much. I think the philosophy of man and human nature as an end worth celebrating in an of itself interesting, but the end of the book left me with a nasty taste in my mouth when it came to the narrator. He seemed to full of himself and too literally trying to cast himself as God and the creator. Or something.

The version I read had a really cool feature - it contained an earlier manuscript of the book marked up with edits in Ayn's own hand. It was really cool to get a glimpse of her editing process.

Glad I read it and I'm really looking forward to the Fountainhead. Whenever I get around to reading it.

No comments: