Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

I loved this book.

It was hard to read. It is a riveting first person account of the author's first year of widowhood. I use that word explicit;y because there's a part of the book where she talks about the word "widow", and it stuck in my head.

Anyway, her writing style is almost one of stream of consciousness - only that consciousness is very skilled at telling it's story. What I really mean is that it's so intensely personal that you feel like you're in her head. But it's also beautifully crafted.

It's really just a book you have to experience. There's no real plot - just the discussion of her reaction to the unexpected loss of her husband and how that changed her world. This book madde me v. thankful for my life as it currently is and v. afraid of how it could so easily be different.

No comments: